The Technical University of Clausthal has developed over the mountain school (from 1811) and the Mining Academy (from 1864) from the Clausthal Latin School in 1775 established special advanced courses for miners. Taken as the importance of instruction in important basic subjects, such as the mathematics of mechanics, since time immemorial, was to interpret the statements already in 1725 by Pastor H. Calvor, rector of the Latin school, clearly indicates:
"After my little discretion and a few would rather stand still ... abgezieletepurpose to receive, especially if a mathematical school was erected, is the most skilled and brightest minds of those who want to be mountain andcarpenters, in youth for several hours in the week ... in the grounds of geometry, trigonometry, Static and Mechanic, and the Aero Static,hydraulic and Hydrostatic, as sciences, as the Physic and laws of nature are of the appliciret Mathesi, gesetzet in which all the arithmetic toadvance will, would be informed ... "
Thus for even in the "early days" of the school including picturesque figures appearing as a pastor, a Eisenhüttenregistrator, a market vagina assistant, a clerk hut, a Baugehilfe ... worked in these two subjects.
Later, during the United Mine Academy and Mountain School - the splitting of the Mountain School in two "classes" had taken place, it was first transferred to full-time teachers - a long time the mechanism was the (mountain) Mechanical Engineering (or Mechanical Arts) and the physics in the hands of a teacher, most recently for 43 (dreiundvierzig!) years under Prof. Oscar Hoppe, until 1911 when his retirement with 73 years with the mechanics of representatives of Mathematics, Prof. Rothe was acquired.
The thus introduced - for a technical college to be designated as happy - personal union that lasted until 1961.
According to Rothe followed Mohrmann and von Sanden, from 1922 to this king, who headed the Institute of Mathematics and Mechanics at first until 1939.
In the war and early postwar period representations were improvised by non-specialist colleagues (young geophysicist, Mark Scheider Rellensmann), took over the office until 1948 Prof. Mettler. He was replaced in 1953 by Professor King.
The personal union of "mathematics" and "mechanics" (since 1911) ended in 1961 with the retirement of Prof. King.
King had done to deserve such things as having under his rectorship (1922-1931), the hut of the academy was created at the Brocken. His inclinations as a ballistics expert and a sportsman, accordingly, he constructed next to the Olympic ski jump in Garmisch-Partenkirchen ski jumps in the Harz Altenau and Braunlage.
|Institute and Department of "Mechanics" to be built and with the appointment of Professor Manfred Schaefer begint a new chapter.|
The Institute is housed in the former Institute for mine surveying (formerly Deaconess pen).
Shepherd dealt with numerous issues in applied mechanics; questions from its 'traditional' area of gas dynamics, were unsteady gas flows, spatial, non-linear one-dimensional acoustic pressure and the effect of blast waves on buildings. Furthermore, it comes from a refined flexural theory of elastic plates.
The lecturer is Dr. Dietrich Behr "Scientific Council and the Professor" in 1978, the transition takes place according to the professor. new NHG.
The lecturer is Dr. Bernhard Zimmermann, "Associate Professor" in 1978, his appointment is made according to the professor. new NHG.
|Prof. Michael Jischa is appointed as successor to Prof. Manfred Schaefer, after it has long been considered Emeritus over a year, the Institute conducted an interim basis.|
Jischas work areas, the boundary layer theory, turbulent flows, turbulent heat and mass transfer and multiphase flow.
|There are other related areas in the main building. In particular, except offices - added three laboratories - according to the experimental nature of the Institute continues growing: vibration control, fluid mechanics and stress analysis and material mechanics.|
Meanwhile, the institution was the "professor" Higher Education Act abolished; the Institute is supported by a triumvirate ("Board") directed from the two-for years - elected a "Managing Director".
|Prof. Jischa developed new courses on the theme of "Society and Technology" and sets up the research area "technology assessment" in Clausthal.|
|The lecturer is Dr. Werner Hufenbach "Associate Professor".|
He works primarily in the field of mechanics of materials, with fiber-reinforced composites occupy a considerable space.
Also in 1993 he accepted a professorship at the TU Dresden, Institute for Lightweight Structures and Polymer Technology.
Prof. Bernhard Zimmermann's retirement.
|Prof. Dietrich Behr is retiring. Prof. Jischa retires.|
As part of new appointments, the Institute is being restructured: it has future only two professors, Professor of Solid Mechanics and the Chair of Fluid Mechanics.
|Prof. Gunther Brenner was appointed to the Chair of Fluid Mechanics and becomes director of the Institute.|
|After the previous Academic High Council and representatives of the Chair of Solid Mechanics, Assistant Professor Dr.-Ing. Jens Strackeljan, a professor at the University of Magdeburg follows, the field of solid mechanics by Mrs. Sabine Jun. Prof. Langer is represented from Brunswick.|
At the same time, the building at 3 Graupenstrasse is abandoned, and new spaces in the north wing of the main building of the university are available. By modernizing the office and the acquisition of the workshop, which was until now the Institute of Mineralogy, the institution has now once again has a good spatial and technical equipment.
|After a longer vacancy of the professorship for solid mechanics, Prof. Stefan Hartmann accepts the call to the TU Clausthal. His research focuses on the experimental investigation fter a long vacancy of the Chair of Solid State Mechanics, Prof. Stefan Hartmann takes the chair at the Technical University of Clausthal.|